The second Sana writing contest is now open!
The theme of our second contest is Happily Ever After… Or Not?
Many of us read romance stories for the warm feelings created by a great Happily Ever After. But sometimes you just want to have a good cry. As writers, we want our characters to find happiness, but we also want to give them a taste of that delicious suffering… What if you could have both? What if you could write a happy ending and a sad ending—and let your readers decide which one they want to experience?
With a branching story you can have your cake and eat it! In this writing contest we invite you to create a romantic story with multiple different endings, or with different plotlines all leading to the same end—happily ever after or not, that’s for you to decide!
The contest is open internationally for stories written in English. All stories written with the Sana Writing Tool, submitted with the provided form, and accepted to be self-published on the Sana app by 11th December 2020 are eligible to win a cash prize (1st 500€, 2nd 200€, 3rd 100€) and the option to have cover art for the story created by a professional artist.
- Write a branching story using the Sana Writing Tool and submit it with this form to be self-published in the Sana app.
- The story needs to be an original story written by you. It should have a beginning, a middle and an end (preferably several!). It needs to include at least one choice between two different scenes. It needs to be at least 5000 words long and written in English, and the submission needs to include a cover image.
- We reserve the right not to publish stories that do not meet these requirements.
- You can submit as many stories as you like. In fact, we suggest submitting several shorter stories instead of a single long one.
- We encourage submitting your stories early rather than late. This gives them more time to become popular with our readers and makes it more likely they will catch the interest of our judges.
- What we want to see:
a. Stories with a strong central romance plot between two or more characters. We live for those delicious character arcs and sizzling chemistry.
b. Diverse stories with characters from all kinds of backgrounds. We are LGBT+ friendly, and also appreciate more traditional straight romances.
c. Erotic stories. We do prefer light erotica with an emphasis on emotions over straigh-up porn, but both are welcome.
d. Coherent and complete narratives without continuity errors. Readers should experience a full story no matter which choices they make.
e. Well-written and clearly formatted text without typos or spelling mistakes.
- What we don’t want to see:
a. Racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, or any other kind of discrimination or abuse aimed at a vulnerable group of people.
b. Sexual abuse of any kind, such as depictions of rape or non-consensual sexual acts.
c. Gratuitous graphic violence without a very good reason strongly rooted in the plot of your story. Please consider carefully if the gory details are really necessary.
d. Illegal content, such as sexual acts towards minors or bestiality. We cannot publish any illegal content due to platform rules.
- All stories submitted by 11th December 2020 and accepted to be published are eligible to win. Winners will be chosen by our judges. Stories that are popular with our readers will be of more interest to the judges.
- Winners will be notified by 14th February 2021 personally via email.
- The first 100 stories accepted to be published get a reward: 50€/£/$ Amazon gift card and one month’s free subscription to the Sana app. Once your story is accepted, we will email you with the details on how to claim your reward.
- All published stories are eligible for royalties: 25% of the subscription revenue is given to authors based on how much their stories are read by subscribed readers. We will contact authors for payment details when the royalties are over 50€.
- The Sana app is a self-publishing platform, all the rights to the stories you submit remain with you. You can ask for your stories to be taken down at any time.
- We publish a batch of stories every Thursday, but please give us time to handle the publishing process. It might take 1–2 weeks for your story to be published.
- Authors must hold all rights to the stories they submit.
- All 10th Muse employees and all third parties involved in organizing and/or administering the Contest, including their family members, are not eligible to participate in the Contest.
- Prizes will be paid through a wire transfer to the bank account provided by the winner following the announcement of the winners. Participants shall be responsible for the fees charged by their banks. 10th Muse will make the payment in EUR and any conversion loss or fees are to the account of the Participant.
- See detailed contest rules here.